Aerobic Granular Sludge Technology
The AquaNereda® Aerobic Granular Sludge Technology is an innovative wastewater treatment technology that provides advanced biological treatment using the unique features of aerobic granular biomass. The unique process features of the AquaNereda technology translate into a flexible and compact process that offers energy efficiency and significantly lower chemical consumption.
The Development of Nereda®
A public-private research partnership in the Netherlands between the world-renowned Delft University of Technology, research institutes, water authorities and Royal HaskoningDHV led to the invention of the first technology applying Aerobic Granular Sludge Technology for the biological treatment of wastewater.
Since its development, Royal HaskoningDHV has transferred the process into an internationally applied, sustainable and cost-effective wastewater treatment technology. After 20 years of research and development, this innovative biological solution is now proving to be one of the most sought–after, progressive wastewater biological treatment technologies.
In 2016 Aqua-Aerobic Systems partnered with Royal HaskoningDHV to expand Aerobic Granular Sludge Technology into North America and is the exclusive provider of this technology in the United States.
How It Works
Batch Cycle Structure
Based on the unique characteristics of granular biomass, the AquaNereda® Aerobic Granular Sludge Technology uses an optimized batch cycle structure. There are three main phases of the cycle to meet advanced wastewater treatment objectives (Fill/Draw, React, Settling). The duration of the phases will be based upon the specific waste characteristics, the flow and the effluent objectives.
Features & Specifications
- Robust structure of granule withstands fluctuations in chemical spikes, load, salt, pH and toxic shocks
- No secondary clarifiers, selectors, separate compartments, or return sludge pumping stations
- Settling properties at SVI values of 30-50 mL/g allow MLSS concentrations of 8,000 mg/l or greater
- Proven enhanced biological nutrient removal (ENR)
- Simplified operation with fully automated controls
- Optimal biological treatment is accomplished in one effective aeration step
- Four times less space required compared to conventional activated sludge systems
- Energy savings up to 50% compared to activated sludge processes
- Robust process without a carrier
- Significant reduction of chemicals for biological nutrient removal due to the layered structure and biopolymer backbone of the granule
- Lowest life-cycle cost
|Aqua-Aerobic Systems, Inc. Overview Video
|AquaNereda® White Paper
|CSWEA AquaNereda® Article
|Innovative Technology feature on AquaNereda® Aerobic Granular Sludge Technology
|Technology Deep Dive: AquaNereda®
|Defying the Conventional: AquaNereda® uses aerobic granular biomass for effective biological nutrient removal in compact …
|Influents Magazine AquaNereda® Article
|Game-Changing Technologies feature on AquaNereda® Aerobic Granular Sludge Technology
|Nereda Technology Video
|Aerobic Granular Biomass Technology: Recent performance data, lessons learnt and retrofitting conventional treatment infrastructure
|Outlook Science AquaNereda® Article
|Feature on AquaNereda® Aerobic Granular Sludge Technology
|Wolcott, KS Success Story Video
|Wolf Creek Success Story
|Riviera Utilities WWTP at Wolf Creek Upgradges to State-of-the-Art AquaNereda® Aerobic Granular Sludge Technology to …
|WWT AquaNereda® Article
|How a revolutionary wastewater treatment was brought to Ireland.
Nereda® is a registered trademark of Royal HaskoningDHV